Monday, October 8, 2007

The Marathon That Sort of Wasn't

The marathon was cancelled. Not cut short. Not diverted. Cancelled.

Better than half way through we were told to quit running (Really! Tell people who have come this far to quit running!) and walk the rest. The marathon has been cancelled because of extreme heat. Some very dedicated Chicagoan police officers made certain we stopped running / started walking. They were there for us as irritated as we were.

Cancel a marathon?

It was a good call.

I saw half a dozen people stagger to the side of the road. A dozen more on the grass. The aide tents were overwhelmed - runners were doubled over and with ice packs.

Down side: It was 30 degrees, humidity was high, and there wasn't enough water out there for us all.

Up side: There is no chance I will ever run up Jackson Ave (Blvd?) with each and every fire hydrant opened up. Huge arches of water spraying across a thousand people.

I have stories from every race I have done - I have no stories that compare to today.

To all of those who wished me well, I Love You. I can't thank you enough!

Mikschweaty

No comments: